The Claymore Adopted and Named
We are excited to announce that just a week after announcing Gladius’s adoption another scull was adopted.
Stuart Johnstone, ’73 crew adopted and named a scull. Stuart chose to name the boat Claymore which keeps with the tradition of Jeppe naming boats after blades while honouring his Scottish heritage.
The term claymore is an anglicisation of the Gaelic claidheamh mór or “big/great sword”. This great sword is the Scottish variant of the late medieval two-handed sword in use from the 15th to 17th centuries. The word claymore was first used in reference to basket-hilted swords during the 18th century in Scotland and parts of England. This description was maybe not used during the 17th century, when basket-hilted swords were the primary military swords across Europe, these basket-hilted, broad-bladed, swords remained in service with officers of Scottish regiments into the 21st century. After the Acts of Union in 1707 when Scottish and English regiments were integrated together, the swords were seen as a mark of distinction by Scottish officers over the more slender sabres used by their English contemporaries: a symbol of physical strength and prowess, and a link to the historic Highland way of life